Thanksgiving Day Quotes
- "The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!"
- Henry Ward Beecher
- "If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice."
- Meister Eckhart
- "The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving."
- H.U. Westermayer
- "Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude."
- E.P. Powell
- "If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily."
- Gerald Good
- "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- "So once in every year we throng
Upon a day apart,
To praise the Lord with feast and song
In thankfulness of heart."
- Arthur Guiterman
- "Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action."
- W.J. Cameron
- "For flowers that bloom about our feet;
For tender grass, so fresh, so sweet;
For song of bird, and hum of bee;
For all things fair we hear or see,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee!"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Praise God even when you don't understand what He is doing."
- Henry Jacobsen
- "An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day."
- Irv Kupcinet
- "Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day."
- Robert Caspar Lintner
- "Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow."
- Edward Sandford Martin
- "True thanksgiving means that we need to thank God for what He has done for us, and not to tell Him what we have done for Him."
- George R. Hendrick
- "Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence."
- Erma Bombeck
- "Thank God every day when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done whether you like it or not. Being forced to work and forced to do your best will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues which the idle will never know."
- Basil Carpenter
- "Now thank we all our God, With hearts and hands and voices;
Who wondrous things hath done, In whom this world rejoices.
Who, from our mother's arms, Hath led us on our way,
With countless gifts of love, And still is ours today."
- Martin Rinkart
- "Nothing purchased can come close to the renewed sense of gratitude for having family and friends."
- "It is delightfully easy to thank God for the grace we ourselves have received, but it requires great grace to thank God always for the grace given to others."
- James Smith
- "Praise is the best auxiliary to prayer; and he who most bears in mind what has been done for him by God will be most emboldened to supplicate fresh gifts from above."
- Henry Melville
- "If we meet someone who owes us thanks, we right away remember that. But how often do we meet someone to whom we owe thanks without remembering that?"
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- "Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live."
- Jackie Windspear
- "No longer forward nor behind
I look in hope or fear;
But, grateful, take the good I find,
The best of now and here."
- John Greenleaf Whittier
- "A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues."
- "Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart."
- "He who thanks but with the lips
Thanks but in part;
The full, the true Thanksgiving
Comes from the heart."
- J.A. Shedd
- "Thanksgiving comes to us out of the prehistoric dimness, universal to all ages and all faiths. At whatever straws we must grasp, there is always a time for gratitude and new beginnings."
- J. Robert Moskin